Thursday, November 02, 2006

the wonders of washing...

I have come to the conclusion that the most difficult thing by far when coming to university is washing clothes... firstly you have to have the forethought of saving ridiculous amounts and combinations of 20p and 50p coins, then you have to have remembered to get washing powder (i have not as yet progressed onto the use of fabric conditioner aswel!) Then after at least half an hour of gathering the clothes spread accross your room you have to balance everything all the way to the washing room- at which point you realise you've forgotten your keys to it.... Once in their you have to figure out how you are going to separate them (having heard people talk about 'light' and 'dark' washes) and then the most complicated part of all i find: deciding how hot you should wash the clothes (i must admit im still completely clueless on this aspect) and which compartment the washing powder goes in (why are there 3??? I only have one thing to put in and have only ever heard of one other thing (conditioner) so what is the other one for and how are you meant to know which is which?!)....

Well there you go, that has been the trials of my morning... though far more interesting than the essay i was meant to be doing i feel i may start doing more handwashing... and am well aware of the fact i now have to walk into shops to get another 50p for the dryer in which im apparently not meant to put everything as things will shrink (though i don't know what) and again have to decide on a heat...!

My conclusion is that instead of all the 'essay writing skills' workshops and 'exam technique' ones which no one bothers with, they should put on some more useful ones like 'washing clothes' and for the self catered (i may starve next year!) a 'cooking' workshop....

8 Comments:

Blogger D Baynham said...

Hi Debbie

The delights of the wshing machine, I have really only just learnd to use one, mmmmm anything wool will shrink in the tumble dryer, and anything red will make your clothes pink :-( and anything black or blue will turn your whites grey, again I know because I have done it to Shelagh's stuff.

Though if you want any cooking lessons I am an ex-chef ;-) and I will happily give you a lesson or two.

2:42 pm  
Blogger Poverty to Prophet said...

I'm sure if you talk to Ben nicely.....

6:46 am  
Blogger D Baynham said...

Poverty to Prophet said...
"I'm sure if you talk to Ben nicely.....


Finish off your sentences Graham, ...he'll let you do his laundry and cooking for him."

9:55 pm  
Blogger timelord in the tardis said...

..my first effort at washing and drying clothes at university reduced my cardigan to a size fit for a barbie doll!

but then Viv came to the rescue. She came to visit me every half term of those long 8 week terms (!)and hey presto washing drying and ironing were sorted no problem.

I always knew that university would be a testing time for us but it allowed Viv to prove just how right she was for me and she has never looked back !?1*!!

[funny thing I do not think she has seen Debbie's blog yet!]

7:28 pm  
Blogger Robbie, Rudolf & Rusty said...

Well, Debbie most things wash at 40 degrees. Some of the more thiner t-shirts wash at 30. If in doubt tumble dry on low heat.

I always used to say to Matt, if in doubt check the lable (the square with the circle in is the tumble dryer one - if it has one dot - low heat, 2 dots - high heat, cross through - dont tumble dry). He learned the hard way after washing my Dry Clean only dress!!!!

7:38 pm  
Blogger Robbie, Rudolf & Rusty said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:38 pm  
Blogger Teapot said...

I don't remember EVER doing any ironing for Stephen at Uni! I do remember turning up for a visit, and he was wearing a dirty grey arran sweater, which should have been white.
I did wash that and the rinsing water was filthy. All done by hand.
My first experience of washing in those far off days at college, yes i did go once!, was me trying to master hand-washing flimsy knickers in the sink and making a big hole in one pair with rubbing them too hard!!

My best friend and I were then introduced to the Laundry Room.
We succeeded in using the free standing spin dryer, until it sudddenly shot across the room, making a huge clanking noise. We had put the lid of the washing machine on to it, and then closed the flip-up lid of the spin dryer on top!
The other thing we forgot to do, was to hook the drain hose for the dryer over the sink, so we eneded up wading about in lots of water!!
Happy Days!?

7:54 pm  
Blogger Poverty to Prophet said...

My memories of college washing was a Danish blonde girl but that's another story.

8:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home